Sunday, February 8, 2009

New Tracks for Kermit


Dec 6 & 7 with TDE at MSR Cresson

Kermit made it all the way up to Dallas for weekend fun at MSR Cresson 1.7 miles CW course. I was still running the 020 CHE transmission because the AGB developed an oil leak after installation. I failed to inspect the output shaft seals, which were actually missing. A new SACHS clutch was installed along with a Eurospec lightweight flywheel and GruvenParts lightweight crank pulley.

Saturday started pretty cold, I was using the Falken Azenis RT-615 tires to learn the track. The first time out I was all over the place. At that point I realized MSRC was not going to be as easy as I thought. MSRC is a very challenging track with off-camber and blind turns. Since it was my first time at MSRC, TDE assigned me an instructor. I went for a spin with him during the instructor's session. I then realized I had a lot of work to do.

Next session out went better, but I was still off the pace. No big deal, just kept learning the track. Session three after lunch didn't go so well, partially because I decided to run the brand new Hankook Z214 R-comps. I didn't realize that it was going to take a full session just to scrub the tires. I spun coming out of the paddock, very embarrassing. Then I started to have an intermittent spongy brake pedal. I finished the session and proceeded to check the brakes. Front rotors were done, luckily I had a brand new set with me. Replaced the rotors and bled the brakes. Pedal was firm.

Fourth session and last one for Saturday. I was getting faster each lap until the brake padel went to the floor. The master cylinder failed :(, I was done for the weekend since I didn't feel like replacing it at the track.

MSR Cresson, we'll meet again ..........




Jan 31 & Feb 1 with NASA at MSR Houston

I took the opportunity to visit MSRH 2.3 CCW course with NASA, since they also offer a DE group. All the previous problems were fixed, plus some minor improvements like the 020 AGB short ratio transmission and ram air intake. I was so looking forward for a trouble free weekend.

Again, I was using the Falken Azenis for the first two session on Saturday. MSRH was turning out to be an easier track to learn, and more suited for Kermit than TWS. I was having a great time. In the afternoon I switched to the Hankook r-comps and I was flying. I was moved to HPDE4 by the end of the day.

Sunday was a mix of rain and sun. The very last session was an extremely fun one. I spent about three laps switching positions with my friend Alex and his Lotus Elise. I was also playing with an Acura Integra driven by one of the instructors. I made the mistake of pushing too hard trying to catch up and spun big time at the Bus Stop. Kermit escaped unharmed. I wish my new HD camera hadn't run out of batteries.

Next track event is on March 21 & 22 with TDE. I managed to convince a couple friends of mine from the European car group to have some fun with me at the track.

I have new stickers now :)