Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dyno Visit & Back to TWS


April 24 - Dyno Day

Kermit visited the dyno to see what was the end result from the head work. After playing with the adjustable cam gear, we settled for 126whp and 129ft-lb. Not bad, specially taking into consideration that the baseline was 91whp and 110ft-lb.

May 2 & 3 with PCA at TWS

It took six months to go back to TWS, and nine months since the last time I drove the CW direction. This time was my first time with the Porsche Club of America (PCA) DE organization. It was a bit different for sure, specially because I was put in the blue group. They are more strict on safety than any other organization I have attended, with higher standards of instructing for advanced drivers.

First time out I got too excited because I finally used 5th gear on the main straght!!!! So excited that I forgot to brake for turn 15 and spun off track. It wasn't really bad, but my instructor got a bit scared for sure. The following sessions were much better and I was promoted to the yellow group by the end of Saturday. Sunday was pretty relaxed, it rained during the morning so I had to switch tires.

It was pretty interesting passing Porsches, specially that 997 Turbo in the blue group.


http://vimeo.com/4564450 from Edison Rincon on Vimeo.



May 31 with PDS at TWS

Now back to the traditional CCW direction with PDS and one day only. I struggled the whole day with the Yokohama tires. They were done, there was still thread left on them, but I think they had too many heat cycles. They became very unpredictable: sometimes the car was pushing, sometimes it was oversteering.

I spent the third session of the day playing my friends Andy and AC and their Miatas. I was having soo much fun until the tranny decided not to downshift into third anymore (upshifting was OK). No grinding noises, just resistance. I packed up and headed home.

After removing the transmission I found a strap missing from the pressure plate. Now I know that this has been a common problem with the OEM Sach units since they went from double to single strap design. I tried selecting gear on the tranny and it seemed to be OK. I will be installing the original CHE because the AGB developed a very small leak from the passenger's side output flange. The new pressure plate is a Bildon Motorsport unit that is race rated and has reinforced straps.



In another note, I bought a Racepak G2X GPS Data Logger. Now I can verify that I suck at driving :)

Projects before I head back to TWS with NASA August 1 & 2:

- Replace water-to-oil cooler o-ring (preventive maintenance)
- Install VW Motorsport windage tray
- Replace rear main engine seal (preventive maintenance)
- Install new Bildon HD pressure plate and CHE tranny
- Install Racepak G2X logger
- Install Hawk HT-10 front pads
- Convince the wife to let me buy new r-comp tires

During the NASA event I will be applying for the Time Trial license, that's going to be my first step towards the racing license. I'm taking baby steps :)